Thursday, February 26, 2015

Bernard Levine

I'm trying to locate my great, great grandfather (Bernard Levine)
who died around 1900 in the whereabouts of what is modern day Harare/Zimbabwe.  I'm told he is buried in a local cemetery.  I've got very little information to provide other than that he was from England and died in either a boat or train accident around 1900 or thereabout.  It's assumed that he was in the import/export business... possibly as an independent contractor in the mining industry.  He was believed to be Jewish and of Lithuanian descent.

 

In my search, I came across the Zimbabwe, Death Registers, 1890-1977; Index to Death Register, 1892-1977 via Family Search (https://familysearch.org/image/viewer#uri=https://api.familysearch.org/records/collection/1837900/waypoints).    I've located a Bernard Levine in the Death Indexes via Surnames KE-L on page 34 of 48 (near top, left).  His death record is noted as: D.R. 1794/72.  When looking in the death registers there isn't a Volume 1794 to locate him on page 72 as noted.  I've searched most of the early volumes (1900+/-) but I don't see him listed anywhere?  Do you have any suggestions on how I could locate his record?  I've searched most of the local graveyards, as well, without any success.  Thanks in advance for any help in solving a mystery that has eluded our family for over a century.

 

Respectfully,

C M R Lee
Matt Lee <cmrlee@gmail.com>
Covington, Louisiana, USA

No comments:

Post a Comment